July 22, 2010
ASPIRE Scholar/Frist Global Health Leader
Since my last report, so much has happened! I have completed my survey project of the employees and patients of Rural Medical Services (RMS). This information will be extremely valuable to the management of RMS in determining the strategic direction of RMS in the future. I also think this information will be very valuable to the patients of Rural Medical Services. We received numerous ideas and comments from patients on what they think of RMS and how RMS can strive for improvement in the future. Overall, the patients and the staff are extremely satisfied with the operations of Rural Medical Services and mostly had only positive comments to make. Some comments made by both the staff and the employees are worth sharing; they show the perceptions of what a great organization RMS is.
Comments from the patients:
- This place is the best. Has always taken care of me and found me the best way for me to pay since I do not have insurance. Thank you.
- Wonderful staff, very attentive to my every need. Takes excellent care of my children
- These ladies are the absolute best and most professional women I’ve ever had the honor to know and have came to respect them in everyway. Thanks for everything ya’ll have done for my family; kids; and myself.
- Everyone here at the clinic always treats you like family I love them everyone. They always take the time to see how you are they are wonderful
- The Nurse Practitioner even called me at home later that night to make sure my child was OK.
The employees, while offering numerous suggestions on the operations of the organization, are equally as satisfied with RMS. From the employees:
Comments from the employees:
- Large company now, but still has values and care for its employees as if it were the small company it was years ago
- Freedom to do my job without being over managed and being able to take advantage of opportunities for projects as I see best meet the goals of my department
- RMS plays a vital role in the health care of the communities it serves and I enjoy being a part of that. Also at RMS everyone is treated as an important part of the team regardless of their position. We are told from the CEO that we are valuable to the organization.
- To know that we are serving the most needed people. Particularly for me this service is a ministry, in which the reward is to see the transformation in the life of the people we serve.
- Ability to offer medical services and care without regard to patients insurance or financial status
I am looking forward to presenting my findings to the RMS leadership, employees, and Board of Directors and getting their thoughts and impressions on the information.
This past week, I attended and helped conduct Migrant Field Screenings. These field screenings are held at various farms throughout the county. I attended the screening at a large farm in
In addition to providing practitioners and nurses, Rural Medical Services also provides translators to help with the language barrier experienced between workers who speak only Spanish and providers who do not speak Spanish. After having their vital signs and blood sugar checked, patients were seen by one of three providers at the screening that day. Students from the